Honey Lady Hot Cross Buns
• 4 cups Strong Plain Flour
• 2 eggs
• 300ml milk
• 2 x 8g yeast packets
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 4 tablespoon Honey Lady Chai Honey
• 50g butter plus extra to grease pan
• zest of one orange
• 1/2 cup currants
1. Combine milk, butter and honey and dissolve over low heat. Only allow to get lukewarm then take off heat.
2. Activate yeast with sugar and small amount of warm water.
3. Add flour on top of the yeast. Make a well in the top of the flour and loosely combine in the eggs making sure they do not touch the yeast. Add milk honey butter mix to flour and combine thoroughly.
4. On a floured board knead the dough for 5- 10 minutes until elastic.
5. With a wet tea towel on top, rest dough in warm place and allow the dough to double in size (30-40mins)
If you are wanting to have these for Easter morning you can at this point put the dough in the fridge to halt the process until morning. Just let it warm up a bit before you move onto the next step.
6. Punch down dough and knead for 5 – 10 mins and then add orange zest and currants.
7. Shape into buns with about an 8cm diameter and place in a butter greased tray. Allow to double in size again (20 mins)
8. Brush buns with milk and place in 190c oven and bake until golden brown (about 15-20 mins)
9. Eat warm with butter and honey, cups of tea or mugs of coffee.
10. If you want to make a traditional X on the top of each bun, make a paste with water and icing sugar and pipe on the X before baking.